Monday, October 26, 2009

My Mum Is a Star

This is Garden Stars, as wrought by my Dear Mum. She used an assortment of Carries Threads, adding in a spot or two of color where she felt like it.


Garden Stars was actually one of the first designs published by Ink Circles. Rather than take the year it would have required to get models physically stitched for my first few charts, I took the short cut of using a computer generated picture for the leaflet cover. If I had it to do over, I'd do it the same way, but if I need to have Garden Stars reprinted you can bet that I will upgrade the cover to this beautiful model!

This chart predated my introduction to over-dyed thread so it called for the ubiquitous DMC. Later, developing a conversion from DMC to Carrie's Threads was an entertaining and growing process for both Carrie and me. She had only a handful of greens in her color line at that point, so you can imagine her reaction when I presented this chart with its twenty-odd shades of green. Actually, imagine any individual dyer being asked to do that - can you see their faces turning a bit greenish. At a minimum their hands would be green. Carrie rose to the occasion wonderfully and today her color line reflects those efforts.

2 comments:

  1. Your mum did a beautiful job. This is on my to-do list. I was going to try to convert to some overdyeds and more colors for some motifs, but I became overwhelmed and moved on to something I didn't have to think about so much. Lazy brain syndrome. But I'll get back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful job your mum did! I'm going to call my lns when it opens to see if she still has this chart. Please tell your mum what an inspiration her work is.
    thanks,
    babs in alabama

    ReplyDelete